Difference between 60s Movies and Today's Movies
The production of movies has grown to be one of the biggest industries in the world. When comparing two decades between one another when it comes to the movies that were produced, there are none that are more different that the movies that were produced in the sixties, and those that are produced now. The main differences include the special effects in these movies, the length of these films, and the content of these movies.
Effects in Movies
During the sixties movies had come a long way when compared to past generations. They were filled with more action sequences. However, when compared the sixties generation to now, more of the movies in the sixties had people doing their own stunts. Which means that those incredible feats that people witness were actually performed by the actors or by their stunt doubles. With movies nowadays, those incredible action sequences are either done by the stunt doubles or they are digital, meaning that they have the technology to make them look even neater and more real life though they are usually filmed against a green screen.
Length of these Movies
In the sixties, movies were on average an hour and a half long, sometimes pushing as long as two hours. This was due to the high cost of actually shooting these films, while also taking into consideration that these movies were shot without having so many re-shoot times as movies today. Today, movies are usually well over two hours long, sometimes as long as three or four, if the producers want people to know an in-depth story line. With all the advances that they have in technology, it makes it relatively easier to produce a film in much shorter time.
Content of these Movies
Despite the free thinking that was dominant in the sixties, the movies were still censored to some extent. There were not as many graphic scenes as there are in movies today. For example, many graphic scenes were basically not shown, but they could be thought to have happened by those that are watching it. Though there are still some restrictions today in movies, the rating system has allowed for producers and directors to put in some scenes that would have been too risqué in the past. Whether this is an improvement or not, really depends on the person that you ask.
Compare and Contrast
Though all movies are meant to be enjoyed by those that are watching these, there are several differences between the movies that were from the sixties decade and those that are made today:
- In the sixties movies, most of the stunts were done by a real live person.
- Today, stunts are usually done with the help of computer and performed against a green screen in order to minimize risk to actors.
- The movies in the sixties were not as graphic as those that are today.
- With the help of digital graphics, movies today can be as bloody and so forth as ever, putting shame to the rubber and plastic props that were used in the sixties.
- The movies in the sixties were relatively shorter and they took longer to make.
- Today movies can be as long as four hours and be produced in short periods of time thanks to new technology.