Difference between PHP and ASP.NET
PHP (Hypertext Pre-Processor) and ASP.NET (Active Server Pages) are server side scripting languages mainly used to develop dynamic and interactive web pages. PHP was released in 1995 and is now maintained by PHP Group. ASP.NET is a product of Microsoft and its first version was released in 2002. Since then these languages are in competition and leave programmer confused when he/she faces this choice in web development. Following comparison might help you to stick to one of these scripting languages.
PHP was developed in 1995 by a programmer – Rasmus Lerdorf. Its original full form was personal homepage tools. Rasmus wrote some Perl scripts to maintain his personal homepage. First version of PHP was written in C programming language CGI binaries and was able to work with web forms and link to databases. Two Israeli programmers Zeev and Andi rewrote the parser for PHP to launch PHP3 with a full form “Hypertext Pre-Processor”. Number of versions are released since then with the latest being 5.3.x and 6.0 under development. Microsoft for the first time came up with a server side language called ASP (Active Server Pages). It is commonly used to build interactive dynamic pages and the latest version was released as 3.x.
One can use many advanced options like multi-threading and asynchronous requests while using ASP.NET. Hence ASP would probably be a better option in case of high end performance programming. PHP is flexible enough to be used with different operating systems like Microsoft Windows, Linux, UNIX and Solaris. ASP is mostly used with Windows. Microsoft has increased its functionality by introducing plug-ins that makes it possible to use AJAX in ASP.NET. One can use different compilers available for PHP to increase speed of execution or to perform static analysis. PHP is open source; hence you can download it for free.
PHP is easy to use and code written in it is simpler as compared to that in ASP.NET. PHP is quite flexible as far as its linking with different database systems is concerned. ASP on the other hand is faster as compared to PHP with loading speed one of the exceptions where latter wins. PHP code is compiled only at the run time. Quick and accurate compilation can be done when working in ASP.NET.
- PHP was released in 1995 by a programmer – Rasmus Lerdorf and is now maintained by PHP Group.
- Its original full form was personal homepage tools.
- Zeev and Andi rewrote the parser for PHP to launch PHP3 with a full form “Hypertext Pre-processor”.
- It can be used with different operating systems like Microsoft Windows, Linux, UNIX and Solaris.
- It can be linked to different database systems easily.
- Was released by Microsoft in 2002.
- One can use many advances options like multi-threading and asynchronous requests while using ASP.NET.
- ASP is mostly used with Windows.
- Now you can even implement AJAX in ASP.NET.
- Its faster as compared to PHP with loading speed one of the exceptions where latter wins.
- Quick and accurate compilation can be done while working in ASP.NET.