Difference between Lagaan and Chak de India
Lagaan (2001) is a Hindi feature film directed by Ashutish Gowarikar and produced by Aamir Khan who also played the lead role. This film is based on an original story from a time when the British ruled India. Lagaan in Hindi means Land Tax, on which the movie was based. Chak de India, on the other hand, released in 2007, is a sports film produced by Yash Raj Films and was directed by Shimit Amin. Shah Rukh Khan played the lead role as a retired Hockey player who now trains the Indian Women’s Hockey team. The movie was critically acclaimed and was awarded National Film Award’s “Best Popular Movie Providing Wholesome Entertainment”.
Bhuwan (Aamir Khan) a farmer, who decides to fight for his village people against high land tax (Lagaan), is challenged by a British officers to defeat them in a cricket match. If they win they will not have to pay tax for next three years, otherwise they will be charged double Lagaan. The movie is about how Bhuwan manages to boost his friends courage to learn the game and beat the British in cricket in order to relieve themselves from a high land tax which they cannot afford to pay. Chak de India on the other hand, is about Kabir Khan (Shah Rukh Khan) former Indian Hockey captain. He was blamed for his team’s defeat in a match with the Pakistani team and was released from the team. He decides to regain his popularity by training the Women’s Hockey team and finally gains his lost reputation when his team wins the gold.
Lagaan was nominated in the academy awards for the Best Movie in Foreign Language award. Apart from this nomination, Lagaan won a number of national and international awards that include eight of which were for Best Film. IIFA, Star Screen, Billie Awards, the Zee Cine Awards are among these. It was also awarded The Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment (The National Film Award).
The soundtrack for Lagaan was composed by A.R. Rahman and the lyrics were penned by Javed Akhtar. The album received appreciation from the Los Angeles Times. It made the list of the one hundred best movie albums by Amazon.com, achieving a high ranking at number 44. A.R. Rahman was awarded the National Film Award for Best Music Direction. Released on August 1st, 2007, the soundtrack for Chak de India was composed by Slaim-Sulaiman with lyrics given by Jaideep Sahni. The title song became so popular that it is undoubtedly an unofficial sports anthem for India.
- Hindi feature film directed by Ashutish Gowarikar and produced by Aamir Khan.
- Based on true story from the time when British ruled India.
- Shows the fight put up by poor farmers against high land tax.
- Was nominated in the Aademy Awards for the Best Movie in a Foreign Language award.
- The soundtrack for Lagaan was composed by A.R. Rahman and the lyrics were given by Javed Akhtar.
Chak de India
- A Yash Raj Films movie, directed by Shimit Amin with Shah Rukh Khan in the lead role.
- Story of former Indian Hockey Captain who lost his name makes a comeback as a coach of women’s hockey team.
- IIFA, Star Screen, Billie awards, the Zee Cine Awards are among the long list of awards won by the film.
- Slaim-Sulaiman composed the soundtrack and lyrics were written by Jaideep Sahni.