Difference between WebEx, LiveMeeting and GoToMeeting
WebEx is a Cisco company providing applications used for online meetings, web conferencing and video conferencing. While comparing the three we will use the term WebEx for one of its application named WebEx Meeting Centre used for live conferencing. LiveMeeting and GoToMeeting are the names of services/applications for online conferencing by Microsoft and Citrix Online respectively. Web conferencing as the name suggests is the technology in which people sitting at different physical locations can attend a live meeting or a training session or any such program through Internet. This can be done in two ways: (a) by using a downloaded application that is installed on every computer involved in the meeting or (b) by an application based on Internet in which users can attend the meeting by clicking the link that is transferred to each user by e-mail. Following comparison might help you to choose one the services.
WebEx is built on Media Tone Platform supported by a global network called Media Tone Network which was designed by the chief network architect of the company. LiveMeeting on the other hand, is convergence software that can be downloaded for free through Microsoft’s website. User can control PSTN lines using web. Users not using windows can also connect if HTTP URL is published. In case of GoToMeeting the host computer broadcasts its own desktop’s view to a number of participating users (client computers) through Internet. Encryptions and password can be used to protect the transmissions.
WebEx provides meeting, sales, training and consulting services through real time data sharing, voice sharing, video sharing and so on. Important features in Microsoft Office LiveMeeting 2007 are HQ presentation of media, voice over Internet protocol (VOIP) two-way multi-party, audio integration, recording, testing, grading, and file transfer. In GoToMeeting SSL and AES encryptions are used for security. Corporate version supports up to 25 users and an option for more than one organiser.
Platform, Video Support, Capacity
WebEx is compatible with Linux, Mac OS and Microsoft Windows. Same is the case with Microsoft LiveMeeting but in case of GoToMeeting the application won’t work with Linux but is comfortable with Mac OS and Microsoft windows. While WebEx and GoToMeeting provide VGA video support Microsoft LiveMeeting goes a step further with VGA, HQ support. WebEx provides a capacity of 1-100, whereas GoToMeeting has a capacity of 15.
- It is a Cisco company building applications for online live conferencing, one of the software being WebEx Meeting Centre which is currently being compared to the other two
- Built on Media Tone Platform
- Meetings, Sales, training, event management and consulting services are provided by WebEx
- Capacity: 1-100 and VGA support
- It is a Microsoft product
- User can control PSTN lines through Internet
- HQ presentation of media, voice over Internet protocol (VOIP) two-way multi-party, audio integration, recording, testing, grading and many more features
- It is a Citrix Online service
- Host computer broadcasts its desktop’s view
- PPT or PDF files cannot be uploaded
- SSL and AES encryptions
- Not compatible with Linux