Difference between Pasteurized Milk and Unpasteurized Milk
Milk, for we all know, whether organic or pasteurized is really a good source of vitamins and minerals specifically vitamin B and calcium. These are very much essential for our body, most especially our bones and teeth, but the big question is, “which milk is really more beneficial?” Let us differentiate the two kinds of milk. First, organic unpasteurized milk is produced without synthetic chemicals, hormones or antibiotics and does not undergo any artificial processing. Pasteurized milk on the other hand, passes through the process of pasteurization where the liquid is heated for a certain time at specific temperature.
Both organic milk and pasteurized milk are nutritious for it is a good source of water soluble vitamins; thiamin, riboflavin, and vitamin 12; it also contain fat soluble vitamins. There are also minerals present like calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, selenium, and zinc. However, the higher heat treatment used in ultra high temperature pasteurization for extended shelf combined with the increase storage life of these products does cause losses of some water soluble vitamins but a mild heat treatment used in the typical high temperature short time pasteurization of milk does not affect vitamin content. Exposure to light affects vitamins in milk.
Since organic milk is gained from cow that feed on grass, that is not sprayed with fertilizers or other harmful chemicals, not injected with hormones to increase the production of milk and left in the pastures to feed themselves in the natural environment; people consuming organic milk are not at risk of taking these substances which we all know causes harmful effect in our body. Overuse of these substances can cause major changes in our lives. Organic milk is also of great help in digestion of laxative properties especially for those lactose intolerant people, for it does not undergo pasteurization.
Pasteurized milk on the other hand, no longer has enzymes alive in milk which are essential for those people who have difficulty in digesting these kinds of milk because they have been killed in the heating process (pasteurization process). Some of the vitamins and minerals also are affected by the process so the benefits of this kind of milk in our body are little. Another is the machine used, aside from it is expensive, are we sure they are clean? Are we sure it is free from substances that will not harm us? Lastly, it my contain artificial chemical substances.
- Both organic milk and pasteurized milk has essential vitamins and minerals for our body.
- Organic unpasteurized milk is appreciably good for those people who are lactose intolerant for it helps in digestion process.
- Pasteurized milk kills bad bacteria but also some good bacteria in milk after the process of pasteurization
- People drinking organic milk are safe from taking substances like harmful chemicals, artificial hormones, antibiotics and other artificial chemicals which can cause health problems.
- Organic milk contains alive natural enzymes and probiotic bacteria
- Both types of milk are equally pure and safe for our personal consumption and are beneficial for us.